Is your family growing? Have you lived at 30 or 35 Charles for at least one year? You may be eligible for a transfer to a larger apartment once one is available.
**Please Note! If you choose to accept a transfer to a new apartment, you will be signing a Non-Smoking Lease, which will make it mandatory for all family members and visitors to keep the apartment and balcony smoke-free.
Who is eligible?
- You have resided at 30 or 35 Charles for at least 12 months
- Your family is or about to be bigger than it was when you moved in
- Your current unit meets moving out standards (clean and in good condition)
- You have been reliably paying your rent on time (the odd late payment won’t count against a transfer, but a pattern of behaviour will)
How do I apply?
- Download and complete the Transfer Form (or pick up a hard copy at the Residence Office)
- Attach proof of need (proof of pregnancy or birth certificate of new child after move in)
- Submit both the form and supporting documentation to the Residence Office, Unit 102 in 35 Charles St W
- The Residence Office will look into your rent payment history.
- When you’re close to the top of the wait list, the first thing that happens is that you’ll be contacted for an inspection of your unit. If you did not treat your current apartment well, you are not going to get another one, so treat your apartment kindly.
How long does it take?
- Assuming you are eligible, expect to wait a while.
- Standard wait times are around a year, but it can vary dramatically based on what kind of transfer you are looking for (sometimes large one bedrooms are highly requested, sometimes two bedrooms), the timing (summers are already booked up with moves, so transfers do not happen August or September), and how many units are opening up at a time.
- If you’d like to know the status of your application, please email your request to the Admissions Office.
I’ve been offered an apartment, now what?
- Next, you’ll get to see the unit that has opened up for you. If you don’t like it, you will be put back on the waiting list.
- You will be offered a MAX of two units. If neither suit you, you will be removed from the list, so make sure if you have specific needs, they are communicated to the Admissions Office as early as possible.
If you have any questions, please reach out to the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-978-8049.