Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. What takes place in the Move-in Information Session?

Many questions on apartment operations will be resolved at the Move-in Information Session. This is an informative venue for residents to learn about the building and apartment operations. The session work in conjunction with the Resident Handbook and Lease Agreement and are facilitated by the Residence Advisors (RA) in small sectional groups or one-on-one sessions. Residents will be contacted by their RA within one month of moving in to set up a session.

2. What apartment upgrades will be done before I move in?

Several upgrades are completed prior to your occupancy date. Since the University of Toronto has taken over management of the buildings, upgrades are completed with the objective of raising the level of housing to a University standard. The upgrades are determined by the Residence Administrator based on the state of the apartment upon the previous residents’ departure and the upgrades vary from apartment to apartment.

Generally, the following renovations are done to each unit prior to your occupancy: plaster and paint repairs throughout the unit, wood floor repairs if needed, and commercial grade apartment cleaning including the balcony. Some new residents do additional cleaning for their own preferences.

3. Can I move in early? What time can I pick up my keys?

Typically, residents cannot move in earlier than their official move in date as we have to prepare the apartments for new residents. However, it may be possible to move in a few days early. You may submit a request by email to the Residence Office and if granted, you will be charged the residence’s daily apartment rate for the extra days.

If your official move in date is Monday through Friday, you may pick up your keys from the Residence Office between 10 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. (until 4:15 p.m. in July and August) If your move in date is on a Saturday, Sunday, holiday closure or after business hours please consult with the Residence Office for instructions on picking keys and moving in.

If you are unable to pick up your keys on the official move in date, you must inform the Residence Office in advance so that key pick up arrangements can be made with on site security. Photo identification of the residents on lease is required at the time of key pick up. Also, you will need to reserve the service elevator with the Residence Office prior to your move in.

Upon receiving keys and a move in package, please fill out, sign and return the Unit Inspection Form included in your move in package to the Residence Office within one week of your move in date. This will give you and the Residence Office the opportunity to address and/or rectify any apartment issues you encounter upon move in.

4. I want to move out. What do I need to do to make these arrangements?

Residents must complete a Notice to Vacate which is available in the Residence Office or online in the Moving Out section. The Notice to Vacate must be submitted sixty (60) days prior to the intended vacating date, effective on the last day of the month and it must be signed by the individuals who signed the lease.

After submitting your Notice to Vacate, a document confirming your vacating date and move out procedures will be sent to your apartment. Please read this document carefully as it provides important information about your departure.

5. I want to move out with less than 60 days written notice, can I do this?

We are unable to accept Notices to Vacate that are less than the required sixty (60) days effective the last day of the month. We are also unable to make exceptions to this requirement outlined in your lease agreement. It is important that we have this time to make necessary preparations and to re-rent the apartment to new students and their families who are often coming from out of the country.

Often we hear from families who have accepted a job offer out of town, or made arrangements to leave the country to deal with family issues, or who for many other reasons need to leave suddenly. We cannot make these exceptions, and you are legally obligated to submit the full notice and are liable for the rent during that period.

6. I want my air conditioner installed today, who can do the installation?

Air conditioner units absolutely must be installed only by our certified contractor. This contractor is familiar with the windows in our buildings and is equipped to securely install the air conditioner to avoid any mishaps or damage to the apartment. During the summer months, the contractor is usually on site twice a week.

Residents must schedule the air conditioner installation and/or removal work with the Residence Office staff. You will have to pay to have the work completed. Check with the Residence Office as to the rates as the rates are set out by the contractor. It is imperative that our contractor do this work for you because you do not want to assume responsibility should something go wrong. If we learn that you have installed one illegally, you will be charged for the cost of the technician re-installing it correctly, and by breaking the terms of your lease you are risking eviction.

7. My apartment is too cold/too hot; please send someone to fix it.

The heating season is September 15th to June 1st. City of Toronto by-laws require that we maintain an ambient temperature of 20° Celsius. With the installation of the new thermal windows, residents will note an improvement with the temperature in their apartment. If you suspect that the radiators are not operating correctly, please place your hand close to the radiator to check that the heat is on. Also, you may want to purchase a thermometer to check the temperature in the apartment. If you are certain there is a problem, please report this to the Residence Office to have a Maintenance Technician assess the problem.

Our buildings are not air conditioned. Our windows do provide some temperature control in the summer as well as the winter, but you may wish to purchase a room fan or air conditioner to provide additional relief. If you wish to purchase your own air conditioner, you may do so, provided it is installed by our contractor (see installation instructions above), in your living room, where there is a grounded electrical outlet of sufficient capacity. Please note that air conditioners cannot be installed in other rooms.

8. The light in my bedroom doesn’t work.

All apartments have energy efficient light bulbs installed in every light fixture. The life span of these bulbs is approximately two years. If the bulb burns out we ask that you return the bulb to the Residence Office to pick up a new replacement.

We must recycle the energy efficient bulbs so it is important to return the bulb to our office for proper disposal. However, if you replace the light bulb with a new bulb and the fixture does not work, check the electrical panel (60 amp service) in your apartment to reset the breaker. If you still have a problem, please report this to the Residence Office to have a Maintenance Technician repair the fixture.

9. The light bulb in my fridge/stove doesn’t work.

The appliance light bulb was replaced before you moved in. Residents are responsible for replacing all light bulbs in the appliances. If necessary, you must purchase the replacement appliance light bulb for your fridge and/or stove. Do not install a regular light fixture bulb in the appliances as they are not appropriate for appliances.

10. I need visitor parking for a guest; where do they go for a permit?

Visitor Parking is available on the ‘C’ Level (3rd level). A Pay-and-Display system is set up for all visitor parking spaces. Please read the instructions and make your payment at the machine located on the ‘C’ Level. Your resident key fob is already activated for access to the parking garage and must be used to enter and exit the garage using a car.

The parking garage is monitored by the U of T Campus Police and pay parking is enforced by U of T Parking Services.

11. I have a family member who is coming to stay with us for a while. I need an extra key and key fob.

Residents who wish to have a friend or family member come stay with them as a guest needs to know the following:

  • Guests are only permitted to stay up to 3-4 weeks except when a close family member is coming to provide childcare for the birth of a new baby. In such cases, the maximum stay is 6 months.

Any guest staying more than a weekend must complete a visitor registration form. You should provide the office with the name(s) of your guests, relationship with this guest, and the length of time they will be staying.

Visits longer than one week also require arrangement of a key and key fob through the Residence Office.

Subject to approval and payment of a deposit, a guest key for your apartment and a fob may be requested; please contact the Residence Office for further details. Should your request be approved, the apartment key and fob must be returned at the end of your guest’s stay as outlined in your letter and your deposit payment will be refunded.

12. My balcony is full of pigeon waste. Who will clean it?

Pigeons are a problem for our buildings. It is important that you regularly clean your balcony. Balconies are included as part of your apartment space; therefore, it is your responsibility to keep the balcony clean.

However, if your balcony is soiled with pigeon waste and you do not wish to clean it yourself, we can provide you with the names of companies that you can hire to do it for you.

13. How do I contact Maintenance and Security?

During regular business hours Monday through Friday, please contact the Residence Office. Before and after hours, contact Maintenance by phone at 416-501-2966 (pager) and Security by phone at 416-729-1592. Emergency contact sheets are posted throughout the buildings, on the front door of the Residence Office and are regularly distributed to apartments.

We strongly recommend you keep these emergency contact numbers in a central location for easy access in the event of an emergency.

14. Will apartment repairs cost me anything?

Apartment repairs are paid for by the University of Toronto. However, if the damage has been caused by the residents through negligence or malice, the tenant will be held responsible for any charges incurred.

15. Where can I store my bicycle?

A bicycle enclosure is available for use by all residents, which is located at 35 Charles St. W. Registration is required at the Residence Office. 

There is also a first-come, first-served bicycle enclosure in the 35 Charles St. W. parking garage. This enclosure is to be used by residents who use their bicycles on a regular basis – it is NOT to be used as a storage room for unused bicycles. All bicycles in the enclosure must be locked to a designated locking post (2 per post). Any bicycles locked to the bicycle enclosure fencing, either on the interior or exterior of the enclosure, will be removed without notice.

Additionally, we have bicycle racks in several exterior locations at 35 Charles Street. Further to this, you are able to store your bicycle in your apartment.  

Be careful about locking up your bike well – Toronto is the bike theft capital of Canada. You are better to have an inexpensive bike and lock it well than to invest in a really nice bike that will draw the attention of bike thieves.