Environmental impact and education is at the heart of many Community & Recreation initiatives.
U of T has a long history of embracing change towards reducing our community's negative impact on the environment.
Community & Recreation, under the first coordinator, Ellen Giles, initiated and developed the recycling program at Charles Street as we know it today. We continue today to make improvement in the program in cooperation with the City of Toronto.
- Recycling bins are located on each floor adjacent to the elevators.
- Your laundry room has receptacles for special recycling items that are recycled by U of T after periodic deliveries of our accumulated items.
- There is also a food waste bin in each unit.
- Please visit Recycling Tips for additional information. Also check out page of helpful Links.
Eco Family Fair & Other Programs
- The Eco Family Fair is an on-site afternoon interactive convention that takes place every Fall with fun learning opportunities for children and adults. Check out the Eco Family Fair and other Special Events.
- Community & Recreation celebrates Spring each year with the Annual Residents Garden Party . With chances to do some planting and see the plants spring to life, this event is always exciting.
- We offer children's programming each summer that educates through fun activities and exploration. Two such programs are the Great Garden Adventure and the trip to Toronto's Riverdale Farm.
Started by the Tenant's Association, and now operated by Community & Recreation, the FreeStore is a fantastic resource for residents. Those moving-in or moving-out will find it especially useful.Completed in 2004, this rooftop garden at 30 Charles was a dream realized after many many years of planning and fundraising.